In 2016, the American Society of Plastic Surgeon reported over seven-million Botox procedures were performed in the U.S. Botox is by far the most frequently performed cosmetic procedure, with both men and women enjoying the benefits of this injectable treatment for lines and wrinkles. If you have been wondering whether this popular cosmetic treatment is right for you, consider the pros and cons of Botox.
Botox is FDA-approved to treat lines and wrinkles, especially on the brow, addressing frown lines; it can also be used around the mouth and eyes. It is a neurotoxin that blocks nerve receptors for muscles where it is injected, stopping contractions that cause lines and wrinkles. Some of the pros of using Botox include:
- Smoother skin, with less pronounced lines and wrinkles in the treatment area
- No downtime after the procedure
- Quick and virtually painless
- Results last about three to six months
- Safe with few or no negative side effects for most people
Like all cosmetic procedures, Botox is not for everyone. It has drawbacks that may hinder some people from getting Botox or getting repeat procedures. Cons include:
- Temporary results – you must continue getting injections every 3-6 months to maintain results
- Muscle paralysis – muscles may not move the way they normally would, making it hard to express certain facial emotions
- Rare allergic reactions
For the millions of people that get Botox injections each year, the pros outweigh the cons. They have a more youthful appearance without surgery or downtime after their procedure. If you think Botox might be right for you, consult a plastic surgeon that offers Botox injections at their practice to ensure the best results.
Posted on behalf of:
Beverly Hills Center for Plastic & Laser Surgery
120 South Spalding Drive #236
Beverly Hills, CA 90212