Otoplasty or ear cosmetic surgery is used for resolving several common ear issues. Your ears are an essential part of your hearing but also have a large impact on your appearance. Ear shape and size can affect your appearance; many people are self-conscious or embarrassed due to large or misshapen ears. Otoplasty is a specialized realm of plastic surgery that can change the shape, position or size of ears for an enhanced appearance. Here are five of the common issues resolved through ear cosmetic surgery.
- Protruding ears. Those who have ears that stick out from the sides of their head can benefit from ear pinning. This does not change the shape of the ear, but pulls the outer ear closer to the head for an improved appearance.
- Pointed ears. Reshaping the top of the ear can address pointed ears to create an oval or rounded appearance that many people prefer.
- Deformities. Children born with deformed ears or those who have had ear trauma can undergo ear reconstruction. This is a more complicated surgery, often requiring cartilage and skin grafting.
- Ear lobe reshaping or repair. Ear lobes that are too long or have been damaged from piercing can benefit for ear cosmetic surgery. Often this cosmetic procedure only requires local anesthesia and can be performed in-office.
- Large ears. Ears that seem disproportionate to a person’s head or facial features can be transformed through otoplasty, creating more symmetrical and balanced appearance.
Otoplasty or ear plastic surgery is a delicate and precise procedure. For the best results, consult a plastic surgeon that specializes in otoplasty, ear reconstruction and ear reshaping.
Posted on behalf of:
Atlanta Plastic Surgery Specialists, P.C.
2001 Peacthree Road #630
Atlanta, GA 30309