Dermatology is a specialized medical field, dealing with the hair, skin and nails. When you have a condition that affects any of these areas, consulting a dermatologist is the best course of action. With advanced training in skin conditions, a dermatologist can diagnose and treat most conditions, even performing minor surgeries. Here are five common reasons to consult a dermatologist.
- Suspicious mole. One of the most common signs of melanoma or skin cancer is abnormal mole growth. If you have a mole that has changed in shape, size or color, have it checked out by a dermatologist.
- Sores that will not heal. Any growth or sore on your skin that does not heal within a few weeks should be evaluated by a dermatologist. It could be a sign of skin cancer or other health conditions.
- Severe acne. Dermatologists can help treat severe acne with a variety of prescription medications and other treatments.
- Hair loss. If you are experiencing hair loss, schedule an appointment with a dermatologist. There are many different causes of hair loss – it may be a sign of other health issues or may be genetic. Finding the cause can help determine the best treatment.
- Rashes or allergic reactions. If you have a rash, red bumps or blisters on the skin, seek professional care through a dermatologist. It could be one of many different disorders, including shingles, dermatitis or allergies.
Skin, hair and nail issues are not just an aesthetic issue; they can be signs of serious health problems. If you have any abnormalities, call your local dermatology clinic to schedule a visit for an exam and possible treatment.
Posted on behalf of:
Olansky Dermatology Associates
Peachtree Lenox Building
3379 Peachtree Road #500
Atlanta, GA 30326