Knee pain and injuries are common amongst athletes, but also plague people of all ages and physical health. These joints are constantly under stress that can cause injury to the tendons, ligaments and tissues in and surrounding the knee. They also can be affected by different illnesses and diseases. While not all knee ailments can be prevented, there are preventive measures that can reduce the chance of knee pain and injury, including these tips:
- Maintain a healthy weight. Overweight persons are more likely to have knee pain or injury. Excessive weight gain puts undo stress on the knee joint, making it more susceptible to injury.
- Stretching and warming up before exercise. One of the basics for all types of strenuous exercise is to warm up and stretch first to prevent injury. Stretching the muscles in the legs helps reduce strain on the knee that can cause injury.
- Wear the right equipment. Wearing good, supportive shoes and protective equipment like knee guards can help prevent knee injuries while biking, running or playing sports.
- Stay active. Many knee injuries happen to those who are less active. Engaging in regular exercise helps keep your knee joints loose and prevents injuries.
- Strengthen your leg muscles. Low impact strengthening of your leg muscles through weight training, rowing or cross-country skiing machines at the gym can help prevent injuries when done correctly.
Staying active, using protective equipment and maintaining a healthy weight can all help prevent knee injuries. However, when a knee injury does occur, seeking the advice and treatment of an orthopedic specialist can give you the best options for repairing and recovering from your knee injury.
Posted on behalf of:
Ortho Sport and Spine Physicians
5730 Glenridge Drive Northeast #230
Atlanta, GA 30328
The information provided on this website, including text, graphics, images, and other materials, is intended solely for informational purposes and should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.