Plastic surgery and non-surgical cosmetic procedures are popular amongst both men and women. Every year there are millions of procedures performed to enhance appearance and correct deformities. In 2016, 1.78 million cosmetic surgeries and 15.4 minimally-invasive cosmetic procedures were performed in the U.S. The three top cosmetic surgeries in 2016 were:
- Breast augmentation. 290, 467 breast augmentations were performed in 2016, making it the number one cosmetic surgery in the U.S.
- Liposuction. There were 235,237 liposuction procedures completed. This is the top plastic surgery for men.
- Rhinoplasty. The “nose job” is still one of the top cosmetic surgeries performed, another popular procedure for men and women. 223, 018 surgeries were completed in 2016.
While cosmetic surgery is popular, many people opt for non-surgical options to enhance their appearance. The top three minimally-invasive cosmetic procedures in 2016 were:
- Botox. By far, Botox, the anti-aging injection with many benefits, is still the most popular cosmetic procedure making up almost half of all procedures at over 7 million. This number is up 797% since 2000.
- Dermal fillers. Soft tissue fillers like collagen, fat injections and hyaluronic acid accounted for 2.6 million procedures in 2016. Hyaluronic acid injections like Juvederm and Restylane made up over 2 million of these procedures.
- Chemical peel. Improving the surface of the skin and reducing the signs of aging is always popular. The chemical peel rounds out the third most popular cosmetic procedure at 1.36 million, with laser hair removal coming in a close 4th.
If you choose to seek one of these popular cosmetic surgeries or minimally-invasive procedures, make sure you choose an experienced plastic surgeon for your procedure.
Posted on behalf of:
Maurice M. Khosh, MD, FACS
580 Park Avenue, Suite 1BE
New York, NY 10065