Benefits of Oral Birth Control
Oral birth control, or the “pill” as it is often called, has one big benefit – preventing pregnancy. Choosing the right time to have a child is a responsible decision and one that should be commended. However, preventing pregnancy is just one of the benefits of using oral contraceptive. There are other reasons to consider using oral birth control, including these benefits:
- Regular menstrual cycle. When on the pill, you know exactly when your period will arrive. This is very convenient – it can help to know when you will be menstruating when planning vacations and other events.
- Combatting endometriosis. Endometriosis is a painful and reproductively destructive condition where uterine tissue attaches and grows outside of the uterus. Going on the pill can help minimize damage and reduce pain for those with endometriosis.
- Easier periods. Oral birth control can help reduce the pain of a period. Many women experience less cramping and lighter periods when they are on the pill.
- Clearer skin. For those prone to excessive acne breakouts and hair growth, the pill can offer the benefit of clearer, smoother skin. Oral contraceptives that lower testosterone can also help reduce acne and body hair growth.
- Reduced risk of some cancers. Women who use oral contraceptives for 15 years or more can have a lower risk of ovarian and endometrial cancers, up to a 50% lower risk, which is significant.
If you have been considering oral birth control, these extra benefits may be interesting to know when making your decision. But before you decide, make an appointment with your OB/GYN to discuss whether the pill is right for you, and if so, which one will be best for your needs.
Posted on behalf of
Marietta OB-GYN Affiliates, P.A.
699 Church Street #220
Marietta, GA 30060