The eyes are one of the most noticeable facial features and differences in your eyes can impact your appearance. Many people have the appearance of asymmetrical eyes, often caused by uneven eyelids. If you have the look of one eye smaller than the other, it could be due to ptosis or other eyelid conditions. To restore a more symmetrical eye appearance, there are a few options to improve eyelid balance. Here are some causes of asymmetrical eyes and how to fix uneven eyelids.
What Causes Uneven Eyelids?
While it is possible for someone to have one eye smaller than the other, it is rare. Most people who have asymmetrical eyes actually have uneven eyelids. The position of the eyelids can greatly impact the balance of the eyes. When one eyelid droops, it can make that eye look smaller than the other. The tissue around the eye can also impact the appearance of the eyelids, creating an illusion that the eyes are asymmetrical. Some of the common causes of uneven eyelids include:
- Upper eyelid ptosis (droopy eyelids)
- Uneven hollowness under the lower eyelid
- Upper eyelid retraction on one eye
- Lower eyelid retraction on one eye
- Uneven eyebrows can make the eyes look asymmetrical
These conditions can be congenital, meaning a person is born with uneven appearing eyelids. They can also be caused by injury, disease or aging factors. Whatever the cause, there are ways to improve the look of the eyelids to create a more symmetrical appearance.
Non-Surgical Asymmetrical Eyelid Treatments
There are surgical and non-surgical options for creating a more symmetrical appearance to the eyes. If uneven eyelids are creating the illusion of asymmetry, there are ways to restore balance to the eye appearance. Here is how to fix uneven eyelids without surgery:
- Makeup. Makeup can be used to create shadows and depth to make one eye look bigger or smaller to match the other. This takes practice and a little artistry, but it can have a significant impact on asymmetrical eyes without surgery. A makeup artist can show you techniques on how to achieve illusions using over-the-counter makeup.
- Facial fillers. If hollowness under the eyes is causing an uneven eyelid appearance, facial filler injections can be a solution. Adding filler under the eye with deeper impression can balance the eyes and make them appear symmetrical. The treatment is non-invasive with no recovery required and the results can be immediate.
- Eyelid tape. There is eyelid tape that can be used to lift a droopy eyelid. The tape needs to be replaced daily, but it is an inexpensive and non-invasive option for correcting uneven eyelids. This can be used for ptosis and eyelid retraction conditions.
- Botox injections. In some cases, Botox® can be used to correct asymmetrical eyes by relaxing muscles in one eye to create a balanced appearance. Botox can also be used to correct uneven eyebrows with a non-surgical brow lift. Botox treatments are quick and require no downtime.
The non-surgical treatments for asymmetrical eyelids are less expensive and non-invasive than surgery, but they are temporary. These treatments will need to be continued and repeated to maintain the results. Makeup and eyelid tape can be performed at home, but injection treatments should be performed by a plastic surgeon, dermatologist or licensed medical professional for safety and the best results.
How to Fix Uneven Eyelids with Surgery
Blepharoplasty, or eyelid lift surgery, offers a permanent solution for asymmetrical eyelids. If you are concerned that one eye looks smaller than the other, blepharoplasty may be the best way to fix this appearance. Blepharoplasty is performed by a plastic surgeon and can be used on the upper or lower eyelids. This can be used to correct ptosis, eyelid retraction or other physical abnormalities to the eyelid. There are many different options in eyelid plastic surgery to improve both the function and appearance of the eyes.
If one eyebrow is higher than the other, it can impact the appearance of the eyes. One eye may look smaller if the eyebrows are unlevel. An eyebrow lift procedure can be used to create symmetry of the eyebrows to achieve better balance of the eyes and facial features. Brow lift procedures are performed by a plastic surgeon, usually placing the incision above the hairline to hide the scar. In some cases, patients can benefit from a brow and eyelid lift to achieve better symmetry and overall eye appearance.
If it looks like you have the appearance of one eye smaller than other, there are ways to achieve facial and eye balance. There are home options you can try, but for lasting results, consider medical treatment from a physician or surgeon. Consult a dermatologist or plastic surgeon on how to fix uneven eyelids or asymmetrical eyes with effective surgical or non-surgical procedures.
The information provided on this website, including text, graphics, images, and other materials, is intended solely for informational purposes and should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.